Days after the nation paused to recognize the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, US Capitol Police confirmed protective measures are being taken ahead of a pro-insurrection rally scheduled for September 18.
On Monday (September 13), the US Capitol Police Department announced that the fencing erected after the January 6 insurrection will go back up ahead of the “Justice For J6” rally, organized by a former staffer in Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.
The rally is predicted to draw supporters and sympathizers of those who’ve been jailed for their roles in storming the Capitol earlier this year, the likes of whom former President George W. Bush compared to those who attacked national symbols some 20 years ago.
“The fence will go up a day or two before, and if everything goes well, it will come down very soon after,” Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger told the media in the Capitol.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York declined to comment on the specifics of the threat level, but noted that law enforcement officials in the area “seemed very, very well prepared –– much better prepared than before January 6. I think they’re ready for whatever might happen,” he said.
The January attack left several people dead and inflicted ongoing physical and mental trauma on the officers who braved the mob of Trump supporters to protect federal lawmakers.
The Justice Department continues its massive investigation into individuals who participated in the riots and as police in the area track threats ahead of the scheduled rally.